Windows Server is a brand name for a group of server operating systems released by Microsoft. It includes all Windows operating systems that have “Windows Server” in their names: Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2016 (upcoming) but not any other Microsoft product. The first Windows server edition to be released with that brand was Windows Server 2003. However, the first server edition of Windows was Windows NT 3.1 Advanced Server, followed by Windows NT 3.5 Server, Windows NT 4.0 Server, and Windows 2000 Server; the latter was the first server edition to feature many things like Active Directory, DNS Server, DHCP Server, Group Policy, and many other popular features used today.
Windows Server 2003, was available in six different editions: Windows Small Business Server 2003, Windows Server 2003 Web Edition, Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition, Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition, Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition, and Windows Storage Server.
Windows Server 2003 (sometimes informally referred to as Win2K3, or just 2K3) is a server operating system produced by Microsoft, released on April 24, 2003. An updated version, Windows Server 2003 R2, was released to manufacturing on December 6, 2005. Its successor, Windows Server 2008, was released on February 4, 2008. It is based on Windows XP, basically becoming an enhanced version of XP. According to Microsoft, Windows Server 2003 is more scalable and delivers better performance than its predecessor, Windows 2000. Windows Server 2003’s kernel was later adopted in the development of Windows Vista.
Windows Server 2003 Features
- Active Directory improvement: NT4.0 did not have this feature because it was introduced only in 2000 series. This technology allows “it easy for users to locate resources on even the largest networks”. In Server 2003 it is completely integrated and additionally allows renaming domains, editing attributes and classes in the schema.
- Group Policies improvement: NT4.0 did not have this feature also. Group policies allow to define the settings and permissions for different users. It is much better than local policies because of its flexibility and ability to work with separate elements of Active directory.
- Resultant Set of Policy: in order to ease and control work of system administrators this feature allows to check out how group policies work relatively separate users or groups.
- Volume Shadow Copy Restore: this technology makes reserve copies of data on the server and thus secures data from accidental deletion or critical damage without service interruption.
- Internet Information Services updated: completely rebuilt and based on new algorithms this feature enables Web Services and applications. Each application works in a separate pool now and thus failures of separate pools do not affect the performance of the whole server. There is a good monitoring of pools ability which helps to determine and eliminate the reasons of the failures.
- Integrated .NET Framework: “takes care of the integration and management details, reducing code complexity and increasing coherency”.
- Clustering: this technology joins several nodes (servers) to work as one. So far if one of the servers crashes while performing a critical operation (printing, messaging or working with a database) the other one continues this operation until it is finished. Windows Server 2003 Enterprise and DataCenter editions provide up to eight nodes.
- Secure Wireless LAN: this feature secures any network activities, encrypting data stream and prevents unauthorized access to the system.
- Emergency Management Services: this technology allows system administrators to manage computers under extreme conditions such as computers without monitor, mouse or keyboard etc.
- Software Name: Windows Server 2003
- Developers: Microsoft
- License: Free Trial
- Latest Version: Version 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2) added on October 7, 2015
- Setup Type: ISO Bootable Image
- Installer: Install Offline / Full Standalone Setup
- Compatibility: 32 Bit (x86) / 64 Bit (x64)
- File Size: 743 MB
- Memory (RAM): 128 MB
- Disk space needed for installation: 1.5 GB
- CPU (Processor): 133 MHz
Windows Server 2003 Free Download
Click the button below to start Windows Server 2003 free download hosted by Google Drive.